PLEASE NOTE: The Chemistry, B.S. Dual Degree Chemical Engineering Transfer Track has been suspended. New students will not be admitted into the program.
Advisement for the major is available from the Chemistry Department
Chemistry, B.S. Dual Degree Chemical Engineering Transfer Track Curriculum Guide (Suggested 4-Year Plan of Study)
The Chemistry Department offers a broad selection of tracks for students seeking careers in chemistry and the physical sciences. This track provides a student an opportunity to earn both a degree in chemistry from SU and an engineering degree from the University of Maryland College Park (UMCP). In this track, typically students attend SU for three years and UMCP for two years (likely including the summer before the first fall semester).
While at SU, the student completes the chemistry core as well as additional courses identified here.
Students also must complete all SU General Education requirements and at least 90 credit hours at SU.
Students who transfer to SU must complete at least 60 credit hours of the track at SU.
To earn the degree from SU, the student must apply to and be accepted into the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Program at UMCP.
Please note that completion of the SU requirements does not guarantee admission into the UMCP program.
Additionally, please note that it is the student’s responsibility to make certain that all prerequisites for the UMCP program are met.
To earn the degree from SU, as a student in the UMCP Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Program, the student must complete at least 30 credit hours at UMCP, with at least 15 of these credit hours being chemical engineering (CHBE) courses with a grade of C or better.
After completing the required courses at UMCP, if all other SU requirements have been met, the student may transfer credits to SU from UMCP and apply for graduation at SU.
This checklist is an unofficial tool for planning. Matriculated students and advisors should consult the Academic Requirements Report in GullNet before and after registering for classes each semester to track academic progress.
University Undergraduate Major Policies
- Refer to the program page for this major and the Courses section of this catalog for approved prerequisites and General Education courses.
- Requirements may not equal 120 credit hours. Students must register for additional electives to complete 120 credits required for graduation.
- All graduates must have a minimum of 30 credits of 300/400-level courses with C grade or above; at least 15 of those credits must be taken at SU.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.
- Students must complete at least 30 credit hours by direct classroom instruction and/or laboratory experience.
- Students must take 30 of the last 37 credit hours at SU.
- It is the student’s responsibility to satisfy graduation requirements. Please refer to the program page of this catalog for detailed major requirements.
- Students must apply online for graduation by November 15 for May and by May 15 for December.
General Education Requirements
Please Note: Check Major Requirements section below for a list of General Education requirements that are fulfilled by the major.
Group I: English Composition and Literature (2 Courses)
A. C or Better in One of the Following
B. Select One Course From:
Literature course (from either ENGL or MDFL Depts.) 4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group II: History (2 Courses)
A. Select One Course From:
B. Select One Course From:
Group III: Humanities and Social Sciences (3 Courses)
A. Select One Course from One of the Following 7 Areas:
B. Select One Course from One of the Following 10 Areas:
C. Select One Course from Either Group IIIA or IIIB (Course must be from a different area than previously selected)
- ART, COMM, DANC or THEA, MDFL, MUSC, PHIL, ANTH, CADR, ECON or FINA, EDFN, ENVR, Human GEOG, POSC, PSYC, SOCI 3-4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 112 - Issues in the Social Sciences 4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 211 - Issues in the Humanities 4 Hour(s) Credit
Group IV: Natural Science, Math and Computer Science (4 courses)
A. Select Courses with Laboratories from at Least Two of the Following Four Areas:
BIOL, CHEM, GEOL or Physical GEOG, PHYS 4 Hour(s) Credit:
B. Select One Course (Need Not be a Lab) from One of the Following Areas:
C. Select One Course From:
MATH 3-4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group V: Health Fitness (1 Course)
General Education Requirements Fulfilled by Major
IVA (Lab Science), IVB (Non Lab Science), IVC (Mathematics)
Chemistry Major Core
Complete the Following (7 Courses):
Chemistry Requirements (3 Courses)
Math Requirement (1 Course)
Physics Requirements (4 Courses)
Engineering Requirements (1 Course)
CHBE Courses Taken at UMCP (C or Better) (15 Hours)
Additional Courses Taken at UMCP (15 Hours)