Advisement for the major is available from the Geography and Geosciences Department
Geography, B.S. Climatology Track Curriculum Guide (Suggested 4-Year Plan of Study)
While geography majors must satisfy departmental requirements, they are also encouraged to develop a program suitable to their individual needs. The department has six designated tracks: general geography, climatology, meteorology, physical geography, geographic information science, and human geography. Each track is designed to provide flexible, yet directed preparation toward specific employment opportunities as well as appropriate background for related graduate work. Students seeking guidance about the tracks, graduate study or career programs should see a departmental advisor.
The Climatology Track is focused on the long-term changes in the atmosphere and is designed for students interested in careers and/or graduate school in climatology and climate change.
All courses applied to the geography major must be completed with grades of C or better.
The Department of Geography and Geosciences recommends that the lower division core courses (GEOG 201 , GEOG 204 , GEOG 219 and GEOL 103 ) be completed prior to GEOG 414 .
Transfer students must complete a minimum of 15 semester hours with grades of C or better in geography at Salisbury University, at least 12 semester hours of which must be at the 300/400 level.
This checklist is an unofficial tool for planning. Matriculated students and advisors should consult the Academic Requirements Report in GullNet before and after registering for classes each semester to track academic progress.
University Undergraduate Major Policies
- Refer to the program page for this major and the Courses section of this catalog for approved prerequisites and General Education courses.
- Requirements may not equal 120 credit hours. Students must register for additional electives to complete 120 credits required for graduation.
- All graduates must have a minimum of 30 credits of 300/400-level courses with C grade or above; at least 15 of those credits must be taken at SU.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.
- Students must complete at least 30 credit hours by direct classroom instruction and/or laboratory experience.
- Students must take 30 of the last 37 credit hours at SU.
- It is the student’s responsibility to satisfy graduation requirements. Please refer to the program page of this catalog for detailed major requirements.
- Students must apply online for graduation by November 15 for May and by May 15 for December.
General Education Requirements
Please Note: Check Major Requirements section below for a list of General Education requirements that are fulfilled by the major.
Group I: English Composition and Literature (2 Courses)
A. C or Better in One of the Following
B. Select One Course From:
Literature course (from either ENGL or MDFL Depts.) 4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group II: History (2 Courses)
A. Select One Course From:
B. Select One Course From:
Group III: Humanities and Social Sciences (3 Courses)
A. Select One Course from One of the Following 7 Areas:
B. Select One Course from One of the Following 10 Areas:
C. Select One Course from Either Group IIIA or IIIB (Course must be from a different area than previously selected)
- ART, COMM, DANC or THEA, MDFL, MUSC, PHIL, ANTH, CADR, ECON or FINA, EDFN, ENVR, Human GEOG, POSC, PSYC, SOCI 3-4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 112 - Issues in the Social Sciences 4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 211 - Issues in the Humanities 4 Hour(s) Credit
Group IV: Natural Science, Math and Computer Science (4 courses)
A. Select Courses with Laboratories from at Least Two of the Following Four Areas:
BIOL, CHEM, GEOL or Physical GEOG, PHYS 4 Hour(s) Credit:
B. Select One Course (Need Not be a Lab) from One of the Following Areas:
C. Select One Course From:
MATH 3-4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group V: Health Fitness (1 Course)
# If all of these courses are complete, student will also fulﬁll requirements for the Geographic Information Science Track, which is highly recommended.
General Education Requirements Fulfilled by Major
IIIB (Social Science), IVA (Lab Science), IVB (Non Lab Science), IVC (Mathematics)
Core Requirements (9 Courses)
Track Requirements (7 Courses)
Complete 2 Courses from the Following:
* If atmospheric science related