Advisement for the major is available from the Art Department.
Art, B.F.A. All Tracks Curriculum Guide (Suggested 4-Year Plan of Study)
Must complete 78 hours in art, at least 16 of which must be at the 300/400 level.
ALL ART courses must be completed with a C or better.
Must select an approved track and complete a minimum of 16 credits.
Must complete a minimum of 14 credits of art Electives.
General Education Art Courses
ART 121 , ART 129 , ART 130 , ART 201 , ART 215 , ART 261 , ART 271 and ART 311 may be used to satisfy a General Education Group IIIA or IIIC requirement. Students seeking art studio credits without registration in areas of special proficiency may challenge courses through a written examination and presentation of a portfolio. The challenge procedure is not open to first-semester freshmen. Transfer students wishing to challenge studio courses should contact the department chair to arrange for advising, testing and presentation of a portfolio.
The Art Department reserves the right to retain permanently one work completed by each student in each class. Disposition of these works is the prerogative of the department. Other works may be held temporarily for use in special exhibitions and will be available to owners no later than one year after the lending date.
This checklist is an unofficial tool for planning. Matriculated students and advisors should consult the Academic Requirements Report in GullNet before and after registering for classes each semester to track academic progress.
University Undergraduate Major Policies
- Refer to the program page for this major and the Courses section of this catalog for approved prerequisites and General Education courses.
- Requirements may not equal 120 credit hours. Students must register for additional electives to complete 120 credits required for graduation.
- All graduates must have a minimum of 30 credits of 300/400-level courses with C grade or above; at least 15 of those credits must be taken at SU.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.
- Students must complete at least 30 credit hours by direct classroom instruction and/or laboratory experience.
- Students must take 30 of the last 37 credit hours at SU.
- It is the student’s responsibility to satisfy graduation requirements. Please refer to the program page of this catalog for detailed major requirements.
- Students must apply online for graduation by November 15 for May and by May 15 for December.
General Education Requirements
Please Note: Check Major Requirements section below for a list of General Education requirements that are fulfilled by the major.
Group I: English Composition and Literature (2 Courses)
A. C or Better in One of the Following
B. Select One Course From:
Literature course (from either ENGL or MDFL Depts.) 4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group II: History (2 Courses)
A. Select One Course From:
B. Select One Course From:
Group III: Humanities and Social Sciences (3 Courses)
A. Select One Course from One of the Following 7 Areas:
B. Select One Course from One of the Following 10 Areas:
C. Select One Course from Either Group IIIA or IIIB (Course must be from a different area than previously selected)
- ART, COMM, DANC or THEA, MDFL, MUSC, PHIL, ANTH, CADR, ECON or FINA, EDFN, ENVR, Human GEOG, POSC, PSYC, SOCI 3-4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 112 - Issues in the Social Sciences 4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 211 - Issues in the Humanities 4 Hour(s) Credit
Group IV: Natural Science, Math and Computer Science (4 courses)
A. Select Courses with Laboratories from at Least Two of the Following Four Areas:
BIOL, CHEM, GEOL or Physical GEOG, PHYS 4 Hour(s) Credit:
B. Select One Course (Need Not be a Lab) from One of the Following Areas:
C. Select One Course From:
MATH 3-4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group V: Health Fitness (1 Course)
General Education Requirements Fulfilled by Major
Art B.F.A. Major Core
30 upper-division hours must be completed at Salisbury University. Only lower-division art courses will be accepted as transfer credits from junior colleges and community college.
B.F.A. students must be sponsored by their advisor and a faculty committee must review the student portfolio upon completion of ART 499 .
Select at least 14 credits of Art Electives to earn a total of 78 credits for the B.F.A.
Art Electives are ART classes that are not being used to fulﬁll either Core Art or Track Requirements.
ART 104 may not be used as an Art Elective.
ART 312 , ART 318 , ART 328 , ART 497 and all Art History courses may be used as Art Electives.
Core Courses (13 Courses)
* Core Course Track Notes:
Students with a track in Photography must take ART 229 .
Students with a track in Graphic Design must take ART 226 .
Students with a track in New Media must take ART 280 .
All others should take ART 227 .
Transferred graphic design classes cannot be used as prerequisites for the Graphic Design track.
Track Courses: 16 Hours
B.F.A. majors must complete 16 credits a track.
* Independent Study is for advanced study by motivated students who have exhausted the range of regular course offerings in an area of emphasis.
† Both Independent Study and Internship proposals are due to the Art Department Chair no later than advising/program planning.