May 09, 2021
Dr. Stacia Kock, Faculty Director
Advisement for the program is available from the Clarke Honors College .
The Thomas E. Bellavance Honors Program offers a variety of enhanced courses to satisfy the interests of all Honors students. Enhanced courses meet for three hours a week and are available to students admitted to the program as well as any SU student with at least a 3.5 GPA.
Full course descriptions for Honors unique topics courses can be found on the Clarke Honors College webpage.
Grading Requirements for the Honors Program
All courses used to fulfill Honors Program requirements must be completed with a C or better; HONR 495 must be completed with a B or better. Honors courses cannot be taken pass/fail except where indicated.
Study Abroad or Internship
3 or 4 credits from an approved study abroad course or an internship experience can take the place of any HONR 311 course.
Graduating with Bellavance Honors
Students graduating with a minimum grade point average of 3.3 who have completed the requirements listed above will receive the designation “University Honors” on their transcripts and diploma.
This checklist is an unofficial tool for planning. Matriculated students and advisors should consult the Academic Requirements Report in GullNet before and after registering for classes each semester to track academic progress.
University Undergraduate Major Policies
- Refer to the program page for this major and the Courses section of this catalog for approved prerequisites and General Education courses.
- Requirements may not equal 120 credit hours. Students must register for additional electives to complete 120 credits required for graduation.
- All graduates must have a minimum of 30 credits of 300/400-level courses with C grade or above; at least 15 of those credits must be taken at SU.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.
- Students must complete at least 30 credit hours by direct classroom instruction and/or laboratory experience.
- Students must take 30 of the last 37 credit hours at SU.
- It is the student’s responsibility to satisfy graduation requirements. Please refer to the program page of this catalog for detailed major requirements.
- Students must apply online for graduation by November 15 for May and by May 15 for December.
General Education Requirements
Please Note: Check Major Requirements section below for a list of General Education requirements that are fulfilled by the major.
Group I: English Composition and Literature (2 Courses)
A. C or Better in One of the Following
B. Select One Course From:
Literature course (from either ENGL or MDFL Depts.) 4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group II: History (2 Courses)
A. Select One Course From:
B. Select One Course From:
Group III: Humanities and Social Sciences (3 Courses)
A. Select One Course from One of the Following Seven Areas:
B. Select One Course from One of the Following Nine Areas:
C. Select One Course from Either Group IIIA or IIIB (Course must be from a different area than previously selected)
- ART, COMM, DANC or THEA, MDFL, MUSC, PHIL, ANTH, CADR, ECON or FINA, ENVR, Human GEOG, POSC, PSYC, SOCI 3-4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 112 - Issues in the Social Sciences 4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 211 - Issues in the Humanities 4 Hour(s) Credit
Group IV: Natural Science, Math and Computer Science (4 courses)
A. Select Courses with Laboratories from at Least Two of the Following Four Areas:
BIOL, CHEM, GEOL or Physical GEOG, PHYS 4 Hour(s) Credit:
B. Select One Course (Need Not be a Lab) from One of the Following Areas:
C. Select One Course From:
MATH 3-4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group V: Health Fitness (1 Course)
University Honors Curriculum
General Education Requirements Fulfilled by Major
IIIB (Scocial Science), IVB (Non Lab Science)
Complete 4 of the Following:
* May be used to fulfill a General Education requirement.
Complete 2 Courses from Group 1 or Group 2: