May 09, 2021
Advisement for the major is available from the Communication Department.
Communication, B.A. Media Production Track Curriculum Guide (Suggested 4-Year Plan of Study)
This track prepares students for careers in new media, broadcast production and performing for the media.
Complete COMM core courses.
Declare and complete a track.
Choose only from the courses in the track to satisfy track requirements.
Complete a minimum of 10 COMM courses.
Complete 4 COMM courses at 300/400 level.
Complete all COMM courses with a C or better.
Any COMM course may be taken as an elective to satisfy the 120 total credit hours to graduate.
Course prerequisites must be followed.
Complete a minor in another department.
Demonstrate 102-level proficiency in a foreign language.
COMM 399 may not be used to satisfy both a major core requirement and a track elective requirement.
Transfer students majoring in communication must complete a minimum of 4 courses in communication courses at Salisbury University with minimum grades of C.
Departmental Honors Program
Students may complete an honors project at the invitation of the department. Interested students should contact their advisors or the department chairperson.
This checklist is an unofficial tool for planning. Matriculated students and advisors should consult the Academic Requirements Report in GullNet before and after registering for classes each semester to track academic progress.
University Undergraduate Major Policies
- Refer to the program page for this major and the Courses section of this catalog for approved prerequisites and General Education courses.
- Requirements may not equal 120 credit hours. Students must register for additional electives to complete 120 credits required for graduation.
- All graduates must have a minimum of 30 credits of 300/400-level courses with C grade or above; at least 15 of those credits must be taken at SU.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.
- Students must complete at least 30 credit hours by direct classroom instruction and/or laboratory experience.
- Students must take 30 of the last 37 credit hours at SU.
- It is the student’s responsibility to satisfy graduation requirements. Please refer to the program page of this catalog for detailed major requirements.
- Students must apply online for graduation by November 15 for May and by May 15 for December.
General Education Requirements
Please Note: Check Major Requirements section below for a list of General Education requirements that are fulfilled by the major.
Group I: English Composition and Literature (2 Courses)
A. C or Better in One of the Following
B. Select One Course From:
Literature course (from either ENGL or MDFL Depts.) 4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group II: History (2 Courses)
A. Select One Course From:
B. Select One Course From:
Group III: Humanities and Social Sciences (3 Courses)
A. Select One Course from One of the Following Seven Areas:
B. Select One Course from One of the Following Nine Areas:
C. Select One Course from Either Group IIIA or IIIB (Course must be from a different area than previously selected)
- ART, COMM, DANC or THEA, MDFL, MUSC, PHIL, ANTH, CADR, ECON or FINA, ENVR, Human GEOG, POSC, PSYC, SOCI 3-4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 112 - Issues in the Social Sciences 4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 211 - Issues in the Humanities 4 Hour(s) Credit
Group IV: Natural Science, Math and Computer Science (4 courses)
A. Select Courses with Laboratories from at Least Two of the Following Four Areas:
BIOL, CHEM, GEOL or Physical GEOG, PHYS 4 Hour(s) Credit:
B. Select One Course (Need Not be a Lab) from One of the Following Areas:
C. Select One Course From:
MATH 3-4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group V: Health Fitness (1 Course)
General Education Requirements Fulfilled by Major
COMM Core Courses (3 Courses)
Complete 1 of the Following:
Students must also complete a minor in an area other than in communication. Courses used to fulﬁll minor requirements may be double-counted for major requirements
Media Production Track Core (4 Courses)
Media Production Track Electives (3 Courses)
Choose 3 Courses from the Following: