Advisement for the major is available from the Exercise Science Program
Exercise Science, B.S. Allied Health Concentration Curriculum Guide (Suggested 4-Year Plan of Study)
The Bachelor of Science in exercise science includes a General Education experience, a core of required course work and a culminating internship/seminar experience. The exercise science major prepares students to work in the health/fitness industry as personal trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, aerobics instructors and wellness program directors. Students wishing to pursue careers in allied health fields may elect to complete additional courses in preparation for graduate education in exercise science or other pre-professional health-related disciplines for graduate education in exercise science or other pre-professional health-related disciplines such as physical therapy, physician assistance and medicine.
The program also is designed to prepare students for professional certification through the College of Sports Medicine or the National Strength and Conditioning Association. As a required component of the B.S. in exercise science, students must pass a certification exam in the health-fitness field in order to graduate. Professional certifications come with an additional cost to the student.
Complete a minimum of 12 credits of major courses and have a 2.0 GPA to enroll in 300-/400-level major courses.
Complete EXSC 333 and EXSC 344 and 90 credit hours, or receive department approval, to enroll in EXSC 479
Complete EXSC 333 and EXSC 344 and 100 credit hours, or receive department approval, to enroll in EXSC 480 .
Complete a minimum of 30 hours of 300-/400-level courses, each with a grade of C or better.
Receive a C or better in ALL required EXSC major courses.
Receive an overall GPA of 3.0 upon graduation.
This checklist is an unofficial tool for planning. Matriculated students and advisors should consult the Academic Requirements Report in GullNet before and after registering for classes each semester to track academic progress.
University Undergraduate Major Policies
- Refer to the program page for this major and the Courses section of this catalog for approved prerequisites and General Education courses.
- Requirements may not equal 120 credit hours. Students must register for additional electives to complete 120 credits required for graduation.
- All graduates must have a minimum of 30 credits of 300/400-level courses with C grade or above; at least 15 of those credits must be taken at SU.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.
- Students must complete at least 30 credit hours by direct classroom instruction and/or laboratory experience.
- Students must take 30 of the last 37 credit hours at SU.
- It is the student’s responsibility to satisfy graduation requirements. Please refer to the program page of this catalog for detailed major requirements.
- Students must apply online for graduation by November 15 for May and by May 15 for December.
General Education Requirements
Please Note: Check Major Requirements section below for a list of General Education requirements that are fulfilled by the major.
Group I: English Composition and Literature (2 Courses)
A. C or Better in One of the Following
B. Select One Course From:
Literature course (from either ENGL or MDFL Depts.) 4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group II: History (2 Courses)
A. Select One Course From:
B. Select One Course From:
Group III: Humanities and Social Sciences (3 Courses)
A. Select One Course from One of the Following 7 Areas:
B. Select One Course from One of the Following 10 Areas:
C. Select One Course from Either Group IIIA or IIIB (Course must be from a different area than previously selected)
- ART, COMM, DANC or THEA, MDFL, MUSC, PHIL, ANTH, CADR, ECON or FINA, EDFN, ENVR, Human GEOG, POSC, PSYC, SOCI 3-4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 112 - Issues in the Social Sciences 4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 211 - Issues in the Humanities 4 Hour(s) Credit
Group IV: Natural Science, Math and Computer Science (4 courses)
A. Select Courses with Laboratories from at Least Two of the Following Four Areas:
BIOL, CHEM, GEOL or Physical GEOG, PHYS 4 Hour(s) Credit:
B. Select One Course (Need Not be a Lab) from One of the Following Areas:
C. Select One Course From:
MATH 3-4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group V: Health Fitness (1 Course)
General Education Requirements Fulfilled by Major
IIIB (Social Science), IVA (Lab Science), IVB (Non Lab Science), IVC (Mathematics), V (Health Fitness)
Required Core Courses (48 Hours with C or Better)
Required Allied Health Courses (14 Hours with C or Better)
Allied Health Elective Courses (Complete 22 Hours from the Following with C or Better)
Professional Semester (12 Hours)
Complete the Following with a C or Better: