Advisement for the major is available from the Music, Theatre and Dance Department
Music, B.A. Vocal Performance Track Curriculum Guide (Suggested 4-Year Plan of Study)
All students who wish to be admitted to the Bachelor of Arts in music program must successfully pass a music audition and take a theory advisory test. While some students may wish to complete these admission requirements prior to enrollment at Salisbury University and immediately be admitted into the music program, other students may choose to begin as pre-music majors while preparing to complete their admission requirements sometime during their first year of applied study at Salisbury University. Admission and audition guidelines and procedures are available from the Music, Theatre and Dance Department. The music program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
The Bachelor of Arts in music program is designed for students who wish to combine the study of music with other interests in a vibrant liberal arts environment. The program provides an extraordinarily broad range of study options, so that students enjoy the flexibility to pursue varied interests. In order that career choices are expanded and not limited, the degree program is divided into a menu of diverse study tracks.
Within the Bachelor of Arts in music program, students may pursue tracks/concentrations in teacher certification, vocal or instrumental performance, music technology, or a traditional (“general”) Bachelor of Arts in music curriculum. While all five tracks/concentrations are constructed to enable students to pursue graduate study, if desired, the immediate goals of the tracks/concentrations differ according to the varied needs of the student population they serve.All students (including transfer students) enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts in music programs must:
Complete all music courses with grades of C or better
Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in their music major courses.
Demonstrate 102-level proficiency in a foreign language.
Transfer students must perform all recitals required for the degree program at SU and pass the piano proficiency exam.
Vocal Performance Track Information
This track is designed for students who aspire to careers in performance, whether as a soloist or as a member of a performance ensemble.
There is a $200 per semester credit lab fee required of all students in applied music study (MUSA 390 and MUSA 138 -MUSA 439 sequence).
An additional lab fee is required for all other MUSA, MUSC and MUMT courses from all students.
This checklist is an unofficial tool for planning. Matriculated students and advisors should consult the Academic Requirements Report in GullNet before and after registering for classes each semester to track academic progress.
University Undergraduate Major Policies
- Refer to the program page for this major and the Courses section of this catalog for approved prerequisites and General Education courses.
- Requirements may not equal 120 credit hours. Students must register for additional electives to complete 120 credits required for graduation.
- All graduates must have a minimum of 30 credits of 300/400-level courses with C grade or above; at least 15 of those credits must be taken at SU.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.
- Students must complete at least 30 credit hours by direct classroom instruction and/or laboratory experience.
- Students must take 30 of the last 37 credit hours at SU.
- It is the student’s responsibility to satisfy graduation requirements. Please refer to the program page of this catalog for detailed major requirements.
- Students must apply online for graduation by November 15 for May and by May 15 for December.
General Education Requirements
Please Note: Check Major Requirements section below for a list of General Education requirements that are fulfilled by the major.
Group I: English Composition and Literature (2 Courses)
A. C or Better in One of the Following
B. Select One Course From:
Literature course (from either ENGL or MDFL Depts.) 4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group II: History (2 Courses)
A. Select One Course From:
B. Select One Course From:
Group III: Humanities and Social Sciences (3 Courses)
A. Select One Course from One of the Following 7 Areas:
B. Select One Course from One of the Following 10 Areas:
C. Select One Course from Either Group IIIA or IIIB (Course must be from a different area than previously selected)
- ART, COMM, DANC or THEA, MDFL, MUSC, PHIL, ANTH, CADR, ECON or FINA, EDFN, ENVR, Human GEOG, POSC, PSYC, SOCI 3-4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 112 - Issues in the Social Sciences 4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 211 - Issues in the Humanities 4 Hour(s) Credit
Group IV: Natural Science, Math and Computer Science (4 courses)
A. Select Courses with Laboratories from at Least Two of the Following Four Areas:
BIOL, CHEM, GEOL or Physical GEOG, PHYS 4 Hour(s) Credit:
B. Select One Course (Need Not be a Lab) from One of the Following Areas:
C. Select One Course From:
MATH 3-4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group V: Health Fitness (1 Course)
General Education Requirements Fulfilled by Major
* The required MUSA 205 and MUSA 206 courses may be substituted for/by 2 semesters of Applied Piano (MUSA 390 -006), depending upon placement.
Vocal Performance Track Requirements
Ensembles (8 Semesters)
Appropriate ensemble placement is determined in consultation with academic advisor. Transfer students must be enrolled in ensembles every semester while attending SU.
Complete 4 Semesters
*MUSA 100 recommended.
Complete 4 Additional Semesters of the above Ensembles Or
Small Ensembles (4 Semesters)
Complete 4 semesters of small ensembles
Juries are conducted after each semester of applied study to determine if a student can proceed to next level of applied study.
- Junior Recital (half) 0 Hour(s) Credit
- Senior Recital (full) 0 Hour(s) Credit
Complete the Following:
* Pedagogy Requirement
Approved Music Literature or Theory Electives
Choose from the following to fulfill the above requirement: MUSC 220 , MUSC 301 , MUSC 310 , MUSC 315 , MUSC 316 , MUSC 403 , MUSC 420 , MUSC 426 , MUSC 435 , MUSC 441 , MUSC 450 , MUSC 490 , MUSC 497
Music Electives (MUSA, MUSC, MUMT)
Complete a minimum of 10 credits of music electives.