Advisement for the major is available from the English Department
English, B.A. English as a Second Language Concentration Curriculum Guide (Suggested 4-Year Plan of Study)
Students may complete the liberal arts English major in one of seven ways: creative writing concentration, English as a second language concentration, film concentration, linguistics concentration, literature concentration, writing and rhetoric concentration, or teacher certification.
Core Requirements for All English Majors
Complete 10 courses in the major beyond ENGL 103 .
Complete all courses in the major with grades of C or better.
Complete one writing course beyond ENGL 103 (taken as part of track/concentration).
Complete one diversity course (taken as part of track/concentration).
Complete the requirements of a track or concentration.
Take a maximum of two courses at the 200 level; a minimum of three courses at the 400 level.
Demonstrate 102-level proficiency in a foreign language. (Details for fulfilling the requirement are found in Appendix E.)
Students may not use courses to satisfy requirements in multiple English minors and/or major programs of study.
PLEASE NOTE: All University students must earn a C or better in ENGL 103 to apply it toward graduation and to qualify for enrollment in other English courses.
Transfer students majoring in English must complete a minimum of four English courses at Salisbury University.
This checklist is an unofficial tool for planning. Matriculated students and advisors should consult the Academic Requirements Report in GullNet before and after registering for classes each semester to track academic progress.
University Undergraduate Major Policies
- Refer to the program page for this major and the Courses section of this catalog for approved prerequisites and General Education courses.
- Requirements may not equal 120 credit hours. Students must register for additional electives to complete 120 credits required for graduation.
- All graduates must have a minimum of 30 credits of 300/400-level courses with C grade or above; at least 15 of those credits must be taken at SU.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.
- Students must complete at least 30 credit hours by direct classroom instruction and/or laboratory experience.
- Students must take 30 of the last 37 credit hours at SU.
- It is the student’s responsibility to satisfy graduation requirements. Please refer to the program page of this catalog for detailed major requirements.
- Students must apply online for graduation by November 15 for May and by May 15 for December.
General Education Requirements
Please Note: Check Major Requirements section below for a list of General Education requirements that are fulfilled by the major.
Group I: English Composition and Literature (2 Courses)
A. C or Better in One of the Following
B. Select One Course From:
Literature course (from either ENGL or MDFL Depts.) 4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group II: History (2 Courses)
A. Select One Course From:
B. Select One Course From:
Group III: Humanities and Social Sciences (3 Courses)
A. Select One Course from One of the Following 7 Areas:
B. Select One Course from One of the Following 10 Areas:
C. Select One Course from Either Group IIIA or IIIB (Course must be from a different area than previously selected)
- ART, COMM, DANC or THEA, MDFL, MUSC, PHIL, ANTH, CADR, ECON or FINA, EDFN, ENVR, Human GEOG, POSC, PSYC, SOCI 3-4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 112 - Issues in the Social Sciences 4 Hour(s) Credit
- HONR 211 - Issues in the Humanities 4 Hour(s) Credit
Group IV: Natural Science, Math and Computer Science (4 courses)
A. Select Courses with Laboratories from at Least Two of the Following Four Areas:
BIOL, CHEM, GEOL or Physical GEOG, PHYS 4 Hour(s) Credit:
B. Select One Course (Need Not be a Lab) from One of the Following Areas:
C. Select One Course From:
MATH 3-4 Hour(s) Credit:
Group V: Health Fitness (1 Course)
General Education Requirements Fulfilled by Major
Complete the Following 4 Core Courses:
Complete 1 Writing Course from the Following:
Complete 1 English Elective in Literature:
Complete 4 English Electives from the Following: