Dr. Donald Spickler, Chair
Dr. Jennifer Bergner, MSME Director
Dr. Randall Groth, MSME CO-Director
Department Faculty and Staff
Visit the department’s webpage.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences offers programs leading to the Bachelor of Science in mathematics and the Bachelor of Science in data science. In mathematics there are concentrations in statistics, actuarial science, computational mathematical sciences, pure and applied mathematics, and a program leading to secondary education teacher certification. In data science there are interdisciplinary tracks in astrostatistics, bioinformatics, chemometrics, and geoanalytics as well as tracks in both computational and mathematical data science. The department introduces students to the beauty and utility of mathematics, statistics, and data science in an environment that enhances learning experiences inside and outside the classroom. The department provides up-to-date programs as well as undergraduate research, internships and consulting opportunities.
The majors in mathematics and data science encourage students to examine the relationships among pure mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics and data science by applying fundamental mathematical and computational skills to various scientific fields. It provides a foundation for graduate work or careers in the mathematical sciences, statistics, actuarial science, secondary education, careers in human and health sciences, physical sciences and engineering, or business and industry.
ProgramsBachelor of Science
Master of SciencePost-Baccalaureate CertificateUndergraduate Minors
- Data Science, B.S. Astrostatistics Track
- Data Science, B.S. Bioinformatics Track
- Data Science, B.S. Chemometrics Track
- Data Science, B.S. Computational Data Science Track
- Data Science, B.S. Geoanalytics Track
- Data Science, B.S. Mathematical Data Science Track
- Mathematics, B.S. Actuarial Science Concentration
- Mathematics, B.S. Applied Concentration
- Mathematics, B.S. Computational Mathematical Sciences Concentration
- Mathematics, B.S. Secondary Education Concentration
- Mathematics, B.S. Statistics Concentration
- Mathematics, B.S. Traditional Concentration